Starting on Thursday, February 7th, Hollerbach’s Willow Tree Cafe will kick off its FASCHING season with a fun schedule of German style carnival parties.
Here’s a little bit about the German Mardi Gras/Carnival season (aka Germany’s Silly Season):
In Germany we call Mardi Gras “Fasching”, Fastnacht or Karneval and it is one of the biggest celebrations throughout the year (probably only topped by the Oktoberfest).
The most famous celebration takes place in Koeln (Cologne) on the Monday before Mardi Gras (in German: “Faschingsdienstag”). That Monday is called “Rosenmontag” and there is a huge parade going through Koeln. I have been there and it is a lot of fun but also gets REALLY crazy! Definitely in the New Orleans Mardi Gras or Carnival in Rio direction.
On the Thursday before Mardi Gras almost every town in Germany has some type of Ladies Night Mardi Gras. In Bavaria, where I come from, we call it “Weiberfasching” and it is the most fun night of all Mardi Gras celebrations. No guys are allowed in bars until midnight (which doesn’t stop them from dressing up as women and getting into the bars anyway…). You could probably compare that night to Halloween party nights here in the US – the costumes are just as creative!
So every year I am obviously pretty excited that the Willow Tree is bringing some German tradition into Sanford and am looking forward to seeing how Fasching turns out. Below is the Fasching schedule taken from the Willow Tree Cafe web site.
- Thursday, February 7th: Weiberfassnacht: The women are taking over by stealing the key from Theo.
- Wear a tie you don’t want to keep because the women, or should I say Witches will be cutting all the ties!
- Friday, February 8th Champagne and Elegance: Enjoy a glass of bubbly in your finest attire.
- Saturday, February 9th Bavarian Evening (Febtoberfest). Traditional dirndls and lederhosen!
- Sunday February 10th Support Your Sports! Wear your favorite team colors or jerseys.
- Restaurant Closed Monday, Feb 11th: We’ll be watching the Rosenmontag Parades on TV at home.
- Tuesday, February 12th: Costume Party (Maskenball). Costume preferred and reservation-only. Prizes will be given for Best Costume (male and female), Best Couple, and Best Group.
As usual, you should reserve your spot today since spaces are filling up quickly! Call 407-756-4103 to make your reservation!